Well, my husband wasn’t wearing them because the cuffs were so frayed and they were made of pinpoint oxford cotton, so why not cut those shirts up. This project began when I was looking through a Kaffe Fassett book and was taken with a baby quilt made of men’s shirting fabrics. I don’t think Kaffe actually cut up shirts, but I went with what I had.
I found that men’s shirts contain a lot of fabric. Here’s what I have left after cutting over 200 2 and a half inch squares. The center back box pleat in men’s dress shirts gave me an extra 4 to 5 inches of fabric.
The fun part of this project is creating and inserting “quirky” squares with little pops of color. Kaffe used vivid solids. I’m using bits of a yellow and blue stripe plus a few half square triangles left over from an old Bonnie Hunter quilt.