After some fits with sewing every seam in wrong (I certainly should know better), ripping out, and resewing; I finished piecing, quilting, and facing “Distilled,” my November master class project. The quilting design is from the fencing shown in the original photo, with more lines on the vertical than the horizontal, and the horizontal lines sewn with heavier thread.
Despite votes to keep the swoops in the original sketch, I eliminated them. While eye catching, they made the piece look like a warning sign for hazardous material. Here’s an idea of what the swoops would have looked like.
I did use the black/white ombre fabric, and painted it to make it duck egg blue after I decided the jaggedy fabric was too jarring.
I call it “Distilled” because 1) it’s taken from a photo of a distillery, and 2) it attempts to distill elements of the source photo without any attempt at replicating it.:
Here are Elizabeth’s comments on it:
this came out very well….I really like your abstraction of the photograph which still retains the angles and the “window” sense… and the little pops of bright color…
the simplicity of the quilting beautifully matches the aesthetic and content of the idea which is very pleasing. A very well composed and unified piece that still has a little tweak of uncertainly with the odd bending of that one angle!! good one!!