I used an art quilt group challenge to avoid my looming quilting duties. This time the inspiration was some Sulky 12 weight cotton thread in a muted mulberry color. A group member who had lots of spools of this color donated some to each of us.
I pulled out my scraps boxes and set aside any bits that seemed to go with that color. I ended up with lots of pastels and pre-made fabric. The largest piece I selected was some white on white printed fabric that I had painted with Setacolor transparent paint.
I came up with a design that I call Dissolving Diamonds, as one of the four sections features a sharp diamond in a square, one has an empty diamond, and the other two have diamonds that are coming apart. I used the challenge thread for some heavy straight machine sewn lines and a bit of hand running stitch. You can see some of the detail below. I think the machine stitch was a jeans stitch. The 12 weight thread worked on the top of my machine, though it broke once.
While I had my scraps sorted I found another color scheme – light purple, blue, and apple green – that demanded to be combined. I even added five (count them) beads to a pinwheel in Spring Sky.
A final spin off of that 12 weight thread was some decorative machine stitching on a work in progress that I’ve been hand stitching. I’ve gotten much faster at making French knots. The thread was in my machine, so why not. I’m always amazed that so few sewers use the decorative stitches on their machines.