Sometimes it seems I find new techniques through a just in time method. About a week ago I came across a video that shows how to combine a flange and a binding that’s all machine sewn. Maybe I should pay more attention to the McCall’s Quilting website as it seems to contain gems like this.
When I contemplated how to finish the edges of a small quilt I call (At The) Feet of Klee, I recalled this video and decided to try it out. I’d already pretty much destroyed the quilt with my usual free motion quilting, so it seemed destined to be a guinea pig.
I followed the instructions, mostly, but found that the fabric used definitely affects how easy it is to sew on this special binding. My choice of a shot cotton that’s both heavier and more loosely woven than “normal” quilting cotton made for an extra bulky binding. I compounded that by using felt as my batting.
Lining up the different fabrics where the binding ends join was a bit tricky, but the third attempt worked. It would have helped if I put that fabric join somewhere else. If I had it to do over, I’d increase the width of the flange fabric so I could make a wider flange.
I think this piece will join my not ready for the big leagues drawer of work. I learned that I love quilting on silk fabric, but don’t love quilting on felt. However, the felt makes a stable, flat base for a small quilt.