Not content with new unfinished projects, I’m redoing old, long finished quilts. Why? Because they’re driving me crazy.
One kaleidoscope quilt from 2004 has sparse machine quilting spaced at least six inches apart. What was I thinking?
However, I want to talk about a quilt from 2011 that went seriously wrong somewhere along the way. I started out with appliqued drunkards path blocks in black and white fabrics that I arranged in fanciful pathways. I decided it needed more punch so I added hot pink to the mix in appliqued circles and a surround. This was my first attempt at satin stitch edging around circles. I think it was also my last.
Not satisfied, I appliqued ribbon and more circles in the pink surround, this time using black and white fabrics.
I still wasn’t happy with it, so I threw more black and white fabric on it with a casually curved outer border. I believe the fabric was called Hot Flash. Then I bound it with more pink.
Talk about a hot mess! I rationalize it as my first attempt at an original design. Yes, I know that Mary Mashuta and others have similar designs.
It’s been buried in my trunk for years and was unearthed recently only because I was looking for another quilt to donate for an auction.
Before I could reconsider, I threw it on my cutting mat and sliced off the outer curved border with the binding. While I wanted to remove the ribbon, that was impossible due to the quilting. My masochism goes just so far. Instead, I left the curved edge created by my surgery and bound the quilt with bias binding in a muted gray/black batik.
The result is still way too busy and just off, but I think it’s better than it was.