Recently I’ve been trying to make clouds by painting silk organza. This is for a small piece that’s based on a photo of the sky reflected on skyscraper windows.
I pulled out my Dyna Flow paints, put some fabric under my organza to catch the excess paint, wet the organza, made up a grayish color from black, white and blue paint, and slapped it on.
My first effort worked great on the under cloth but was too pale on the organza. Next, I tried some Tulip fabric paint in black and white and mixed up another gray. This time I found that the Tulip paint didn’t flow like the Dyna Flow and I ended up with gray blobs. It looked like an out of focus x-ray of a suspicious lung growth.
Then I added more white with a Paintstik, to make the effect less thunderstorm of the year-ish. The result was more the effect I wanted. The Paintstik was easier to blend in with the gray than any of the paint I tried.
I still have to figure out how to cut cloud shapes that aren’t cartoonish and attach them. But one step at a time.