My quilting bucket list has long included doing a quilt series. I’d occasionally consider some likely subjects for a series, but never settled on anything. Then, what I view as a series just happened.
Ever since I was lucky enough to win a stuffed envelope of Vicki Welsh’s muslin strips from her dyeing business I’ve been using them up. I made a baby quilt for my great niece Olivia with some bright paired rectangles and used black and gray strips in my Moon Rising top. (It awaits quilting.)
Casting about for an easy project (it’s my way of taking a breather from more detailed work) I remembered I had a bunch of leftover rectangles. I sewed some together with the idea of making a four patch design, and even tried a disappearing four patch, but found I needed more color contrast for that to work. The rectangles had too much white space to clearly delineate a pattern.
Somewhat dismayed that my easy project wasn’t so easy, I started grouping my patches by color affinity. And then the idea for a series began.
I realized that I had four palettes, each roughly corresponding to a season of the year. I sewed the four patches together in long, thin strips and bordered the strips with narrow coordinating borders. Then I added much wider borders to emphasize the appropriate season.
As you can see, there’s no fancy piecing going on. I wanted to feature the wonderful color variations in the fabrics. Each panel is about 20 by 30 inches. I plan to use an overall leaf quilting design and I may face, rather than bind, the edges.
I thought these could be used on a table in the corresponding season or hung individually or all together. At one point I tried to combine the panels into a single top, but decided each season needed its own space. To every season there is a time…