No, it didn’t shrink in the washer or dryer, but at its conception. I began with a design I liked from Zen Chic and developed a freezer paper piecing pattern for it.
I laid out the rough cut fabrics to make sure my design would work out. When I’m doing freezer paper piecing with angled pieces I like to precut the shapes to make sure I have the whole area covered.
I knew my quilt would be smaller than the original which looks like it’s at least four feet tall, but that was OK. I don’t have that that large an expanse of uninterrupted wall.
Once I started rough cutting the gray background fabric I realized the angles of the pieces were using up more of the fabric than I had anticipated. An internet search didn’t turn up any more of that 2011 fabric, so my options narrowed to just one – make fewer blocks. And that meant a smaller quilt.
At that point I felt like the guys in Spinal Tap who had measurement difficulties with their Stonehenge stage prop. There’s a big difference between inches and feet.
So here’s what I could make with the amount of fabric I had. Unfortunately, any increase in this design requires a lot more blocks to complete a diamond so I couldn’t eke out what little I had. I still have plenty of the fabric for the diamond edges, and may well use the gray circle on white background fabric at the top and bottom to increase the top’s size.
No one can say my quilting process isn’t full of suspense.