Partial Eclipse is finally done, after way too much time faffing around with metallic thread that refused to behave, no matter what remedy (new/different needle, looser tension, thread stand, slow stitching, etc.) I tried. It may simply be the brand of thread didn’t get along with my machine. When I switched from Wonderfil to Sulky, stitching went much smoother.
I spent a lot of time going in circles, using this tutorial. The blue marking pen disappeared with a spritz of water.
To hold the binding down on the back I used Steam a Seam quarter inch tape I found at the back of a drawer. I have no idea why I bought it or what I had planned to use it for, but I see using it to hold down bindings on little pieces done up as quickies.